Canada’s Hottest Beach Festival, Center of Gravity, returned to the sandy beaches of Kelowna’s City Park Aug 3-5, 2012. The festival hosts some of the hottest names in electronic dance music, dance, and hip-hop with over 150 pro athletes competing in 7 different sports: beach volleyball, freestyle mountain biking, FMX, wakeboarding, skateboarding, BMX, and basketball. Highlights for 2012:
- Attendance: 28,000 fans
- Over 150 athletes and over 20 music performers
- One of the biggest events of 2012 during one of the hottest summer weekends
- Volleyball – Mens (1st Place): Chaim Schalk & Matt Zbyszewksi
- Volleyball – Womens (1st Place): Jamie Broder & Kristina Valjas
- Basketball Team (1st Place): Open the Cage – Vancouver
- 30’ start ramp for the FMX and freestyle mountain bike shows.
- A wakeboard winch jam where world-class wakeboarders and wakeskaters competed on Center of Gravity’s most technical course yet.
Let’s add to that round up numbers that Okanagan temperatures hit 37 degrees. The temp was hard to complain about even when our team was running media around the dirt & sand zones or managing the media pit.
The 3-day concert series saw electro heavyweights Nero, Miami Horror, and Bloody Beetroots performed alongside hip-hop legend Lupe Fiasco (Grammy winner) and rap up-and-comer Yelawolf (Eminem’s latest protege). Remix master Morgan Page was a highlight when he pulled out “Longest Road” (oh yah!).